Thursday, August 22, 2013

NY The City (Day 2) Liberty, Natural History, and Boathouse

Okay, Day 2 won't take two posts 
so here it is!

We used the Water Taxi for our morning sights
we passed by and took pictures of a ton of stuff that I decided now aren't really necessary
they were neat historical things and fun new things but pictures aren't so great because they were about things more on land that we could barely see from the boat

So I am only showing you the goods

(minus this one because I don't remember the significance, but hey look a cool boat!)


So as far as I understand, there were originally 7 World Trade Centers
 and they are rebuilding 6 of them
the new #1 is in #6's old spot 
the Twin Towers that fell on 9/11 are now a memorial
 we didn't go see it (its super crowded and takes forever) 
but I did my homework (and someday would like to go)
what I think is pretty neat is that there are 2 waterfalls where the two buildings stood
this is from a webcam today

New World Trade Center 1 on the left (the one with a crane) and Brooklyn Bridge on the right
We learned that the Brooklyn Bridge was a big deal when it was built.

It was going to put all the ferries out of business since that was the only way for people to commute

and that the original engineer obtained an injury during construction that resulted in amputation which led to an infection eventually killing him. So the project was left to his son. For construction, he had to go under the water for some kind of foundation/structure building and got the bends which left him paralyzed and in no condition to continue the project. Then the son's wife took over, becoming one of the first woman engineers (I think) and figuring out the right way to finish off the bridge!

There are so many interesting stories and so much history all over the place
I think I am discovering new interests of mine
If I was one of those people that named their pictures...
^this guy would definitely just be "Tourism"
oh New York
Statue of Liberty
(see what I meant earlier, we somehow matched both days!)


After the water taxi, we walked to a really cool pizza place
 that is built in an old Cathedral


This is the ceiling of the pizza place

There is a big mural on the wall of the city
and the lighting is very low
it was a cool building and they had pretty good pizza
The American Museum of Natural History
(all we could think about was The Night at the Museum
which made things slightly disappointing because they didn't come to life)
My mom loves Lewis and Clark
The statues are of Lewis and Clark 
then Boone and Audubon
(and of course Theodore Roosevelt who the museum is a memorial to, 
he is the guy on the horse on the ground)
Indians... my dear mother loves her history and her heritage
it was fun to see the museum but I really enjoyed
 watching what my mom and sister were interested in too
Dinosaurs

Polynesian
Dum dum want gum gum
the newer portion of the museum has a lot of interactive science/space stuff
The giant thing in the middle is the planetarium
we went to a show inside
Whoopi Goldberg narrated, that was weird
The back of the museum, kind of a cool space
we went back through Central Park for more areas we didn't get to see the day before
There are all kinds of cool bridges and structures
we didn't get to see it all, its huge!
but lots of unique things
"How does she know that you love her?"
Enchanted anyone?
The kinds of people in New York and in the park...SO INTERESTING
these two pictures alone do you see the people in weird outfits in there?
1 skater hippie girl, shes normal I guess
2 formal attire couple 
3 lady in the purple skirt with white stacked curly hair and a veil/mesh thing on top with no shoes
4 all white suit guy
5 dark guy in the dark bottom right corner doing who knows what
6 sword guy with a cape, no hair but a circle on top of his head, 
with lots of fancy anklets on his sandals

The Boathouse is also in numerous movies
(like the fountain, park, bridges etc. lots have been filmed in Central Park)


After the park we had to go back to our hotel to get things together for our train to Albany
while my mom was printing off tickets
Kylie and I wanted to try to get to the roof top and that adventure was very short lived
also, we ran into the hotel employee like 5 times in 5 minutes 
on different floors, in the stairways and the elevator. 
I guess we looked suspicious to him 
I felt like I was in an action movie when things 
start to go wrong and everyone was noticing me

Anyway, the train station was underneath Madison Square Garden
(this super city thing amazes me!)
away we went
 off to Albany and then the Lake!!!!!!! 
:)

I might take a break from NY posts and update
on my life back with my husband in Washignton
I miss blogging about him

but then I will finally finish off the NY trip on here and it will be goooood

PS few weeks until Rexburg!

No comments:

Post a Comment