Accessible Recreation is the class.
half the day in a wheelchair was the assignment.
easy enough right?
bahaha.
I thought I scheduled a smart time so that I didn't have to go all up and over campus in it. which was smart, but instead I grocery shopped and did errands and stuff in my apartment. Even just getting on and off campus in it was tough.

I planned my route according to hills and elevators to my car and to the building where I picked it up and dropped it off after.
Here are a few things that really made a difference in my life during my time on wheels:
1. Cracks in ramps and sidewalks that make you get stuck then have to reverse and speed back, usually failing a few times.
2. Sprinklers: Not only do they go over the sidewalk and they are directly at my face height! But when the fun ramp up to my apartment-which is handicapped accessible- is harder than it looks and the ledge in the doorway is IMPOSSIBLE to just roll on in it makes life way exciting. Esp when you have white long sleeves that are now muddy from the wheels.
3. Getting in and out of my car with no space and having to find a way to get the chair in was tough. Luckily I can walk and cheat a little. and my roommate loves me
4. People who help with doors :)
5. Elevators. They are sooo helpful. But kind of funny when you wheel in then realize your stuck facing the wall. Or you have to try and do a 180 in that teeny little space. Or you wheel backwards into it, thinking your smart then realize the doors are closing... hurry! Stick arm out and save the doors.
6. My roommate was my little assistant, which was so lovely, until she never realized how far my legs stick out and run them into everything. and people in the grocery store or on campus get worried when I am flying down the hill or aisle with a worried look on my face-it really was freaking scary!
7. Wheelchairs need to be in good shape. Because uh yeah, lemme tell ya.. one wheel didn't work so it was all mainly on the one side and then the front wheels were always off and on the ground so even in a chair I felt unsafe and unbalanced.
8. One of my favorite parts of the day... In the grocery store I got lots of great looks and reactions but my all time favorite was I was at the self-checkout area while my roommate was finishing up her transactions.. I was sitting facing the door with my groceries all over the chair and my lap when a little toddler was bouncing his bouncy ball and it bounced passed me and to the right and he came running to his ball but immediately froze in his tracks and forgot about the ball and stood with his hands dangling at his sides.. and just stared.
Here is Rachelle speeding me in the Hart Building:

A great assignment, and that was only a few hours. Just imagine....the challenges, the looks, the patience you'd gain or blow up. Love you girlie.
ReplyDeleteokay, so literally, i'm sitting here crying from having a fit of the giggles from reading about the sprinklers and the elevators. hahahahahahaha. i just have this hilarious visual of you in the tiny elevator space trying to do a 360. a moment like that belongs in a movie. and oh my gosh, the sprinklers at face level. hahahahaha. also, another awesome visual.
ReplyDeletehahahhaha I need to make a movie of my life some day. Or if joe ever needs inspiration, ive got plenty haha. Im glad you enjoyed it :)
ReplyDeletelove you too mama