Saturday, April 30, 2011

Egg Drop Soup! and more foooood

While I was home between Ecuador and school I had P.F. Chang's with my mama one day and I forget how much I LOVE egg drop soup. So, I am currently enrolled in a Practical Homemaking class and I am in the foods rotation of it right now. Loving it. It lets me make food and play with things for homework! So I don't feel guilty spending time in the kitchen when I have homework waiting! Anyways, I have made a few things each week and it has been great. One thing I learned this week was to make homemade noodles. They are different and need to be in a soup or sauce, in my opinion but its super fun and easy!




This looks kind of gross but it was pretty dang good.





THE SOUP:
So I boiled 4 cups of water then added some soy sauce (tablespoon+). I played with how much soy sauce and chicken bouillon (i did 2 cubes plus a little) on taste and smell. I chopped and added 2 green onions. Salt and pepper. Little bit of garlic powder. Then I only added 1/4c of egg beaters-so one egg- pouring a thin stream around in a circle. Then I put it on simmer and watched it and tested the eggs and soup until I was satisfied. Then I added some of the homemade noodles! The eggs will look stringy, ribbony, spiderwebby-depending on things but it is good stuff!

NOODLES:
All you need is flour and an egg!
one egg. or 1/4c of egg beaters, put in a small bowl and add spoonful by spoonful of flour and mix with a fork. Once the dough starts sticking to the fork, I add more flour and start using my hands. Eventually, you sprinkle flour on the counter or wherever and start spreading out the dough. Adding more flour by the spoonful wherever it sticks and roll it out to be pretty thin and cut into skinny strips. Don't forget to put some flour on the rolling pin (being a college student, I used a cup). I cooked the noodles separate then added them to the soup at the very end.


Also in class we used cresent rolls or even bisquick batter for a quick recipe. You can make a chicken or beef mixture and put it in the middle of the dough and cut the sides then fold them in left, then right or you can put them in and twist to make a braid thing. I loved the taco and the chicken recipe from class. Then I used my chicken ball recipe and made it the braid way and it was delicious!!!





CHICKEN AND BROCCOLI BRAID

1 c. cooked chicken (chopped in small pieces)
1 c. broccoli (chop, add 2 T. water, cover with plastic wrap, blanch 2 min. in microwave)
¼ c. chopped green pepper
½ to 1 t. garlic (to taste)
¾ c. grated cheddar cheese
½ c. mayonnaise
1 to 2 t. dill (to taste)
¼ t. salt
2 pkgs. Refrigerator crescent rolls

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cut chicken into strips and microwave in covered casserole dish until chicken is no longer pink. While chicken is cooking, wash and chop broccoli and green pepper into small pieces. Put broccoli and peppers into a microwave safe container, add 2 T. water, cover with plastic wrap and blanch in microwave for 2 minutes. When chick has cooled enough for you to handle, chop into small pieces. Mix all of ingredients together in a bowl. On a large cookie sheet spread out rolls. Spread chicken mixture down the center, cut edges in strips and braid over the top. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until dough is golden brown.

TACO BRAID

1 pound lean ground beef
1/3 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
1-2 T. taco seasoning
1 egg, beaten
½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
¼ cup sliced ripe olives
2 pkg. refrigerator crescent rolls

Preheat oven to 375. Wash and chop mushrooms and slice olives. In a skillet, cook beef and mushrooms over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in tomato sauce and taco seasoning. Set aside 1 tablespoon beaten egg. Stir remaining egg into beef mixture. Cool slightly then add olives and cheese. On a large cookie sheet spread out rolls. Spread mixture down the center, cut edges in strips and braid over the top. Brush with beaten egg. Bake 25-30 minutes or until dough is golden brown.


Chicken Ball recipe is super easy..
Here'e what you need:
One can of chicken
Package of cream cheese
Garlic salt
Breadcrumbs
Package of Cresent rolls
and some butter.
*my new thing is adding broccoli. Chop it, cook it, add it.
First, preheat the oven to 375. Soften the cream cheese, mix in the chicken and add garlic salt according to taste. Melt some butter in a separate bowl. For the chicken balls, use a triangle of the dough and spread it out in the palm of your hand and put a scoop of the chicken mixture and then make it into a little pocket ball thing and dip in butter and roll in breadcrumbs. For the braid, pinch the dough together where the triangles usually are, spread out the dough on a cookie sheet and scoop the mixture in to the middle. Cut strips on the sides of the dough and fold them up like how I said earlier. Spread melted butter over top and sprinkle breadcrumbs. For both of the recipes I follow the cooking instructions on the rolls but watch it when the time gets close so its not BROWN. :)


2 comments:

  1. dude i took practical homemaking last summer! how cool! i had the cooking section shortly after finding out i was pregnant and every single day of that class made me nautious as all hell. oh my gosh yeah, i have horrible memories of being in that dang kitchen with all those smells. that braid in particular made me throw up. i made one for joe later and it smelled so gross that i made him throw the entire thing away right after we pulled it out of the oven. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY GOSH! that makes me so sad... the foods part is the best part! you should make the recipes again now that you arent sick.

    ReplyDelete